Nameema Soomro, the owner of NS – Naeema Soomro clothing, talks to Karvan about how she began her business and the challenges she faced before becoming a successful entrepreneur.
1. Tell us about yourself?
I am Naeema from Hyderabad, Sindh. I am a Textile Designer, Entrepreneur, Trainer, and Teacher. at the Institute of Art and Design, Textile Design Department, University of Sindh, Jamshoro, Hyderabad. My hobbies are to design and explore new things in arts and design. I have done my graduation in Textile Design from the Center of Excellence in Arts & Design (CEAD-Hyderabad) and completed my Masters in Design Marketing & Merchandising from Asian Institute of Fashion Design (AIFD-Karachi).
2. What motivated you to become a textile designer?
Our rich culture and tradition motivated me to become a textile designer. I find so many traditional textile techniques in our country. Our artisans make it beautiful with their skills. I have always wanted to be a textile designer mainly because I love to design new products from traditional techniques. When I was young I was always excited to design my own clothes and was inspired by beautiful prints.
3. Tell us about your journey of becoming an entrepreneur?
I was always fond of arts and designs so I perused my education in textile designing and the story begins for my brand. I used to wonder how to make my name in this competitive world. NS – Naeema Soomro clothing is the brand offering ready-to-wear elegant and chic style apparel stitched from the fabric of made in Pakistan. It is an online business which I established in October 2015. I have faced many challenges when I have started this business including how to find a suitable human resource, workers, and platforms to display and sell products. Being a woman I was also faced by many challenges, however, things began to progress smoothly. I started with an idea and an initial investment of PKR 13,000. Today I have a good response to my products.
4. What is the mission of NS – Naeema Soomro Clothing?
To give and add value to customers wardrobe.
To give the best customer service.
To give good quality and good fabric.
To deliver Pakistani made fabric products.
5. How important is branding in establishing a business?
A brand represents who you are, what you believe in and how you want to be perceived by your target market. That is why branding is important for a business. As your audience gets to know your business better, they will start trusting you more. This helps to identify a product and distinguish it from other products and services. Branding allows your customers and clients to know what to expect from your company. It is a way of distinguishing yourself from the competitors. Your business receives recognition, increases business value, generates new customers, and creates trust within the marketplace and customers.
6. Tell us about the exhibitions you have participated in?
I have participated in many exhibitions in Karachi and Hyderabad. The list is as below:
- Bohemian – A Fair for Creative’s at The Royal Rodale Club, Karachi organized by The Crafter’s Guild on April 7, 2019
- Let’s Grow together, at Samar Palace, KMCHS, Hill Park, Karachi organized by Womenza Pakistan on August 11, 2018
- Bachat Bazar of Ap ka Sahir Morning Show at TV One, Karachi on October 1, 2018
- Orange Tree Carnival, at Zamzama Hockey Stadium, Khadda Market Karachi organized by Orange Tree Foundation on January 28, 2018
- The Crafter’s Expo at The Royal Rodale Club, Karachi organized by The Crafter’s Guild on December 3, 2017
- The Arts & Craft Exhibition at HiAST, Hyderabad organized by HiAST (Hyderabad Institute of Arts, Science & Technology) on August 12-13, 2017
- The Crafter’s Expo at The Royal Rodale Club, Karachi organized by The Crafter’s Guild on December 4, 2016
- Ladiesfund Girl’s Night Out (Harbourfront Artisan Showcase-Creative Women of Vision) at Marina Club, Karachi organized by Ladiesfund on August 26, 2016
- The Indie Art & Craft Show at The Royal Rodale Club, Karachi organized by The Crafter’s Guild on July 17, 2016
- Family Fun Festival at Dialdas Club, Hyderabad organized by Young Stunners – The Event Planners on June 5, 2016
- ST Women’s Club Exhibition at Movenpick Hotel, Karachi organized by ST Women’s Club on May 28, 2016
7. You lived most of your life in Hyderabad and came to Karachi to work. How was this transition and what challenges did you face?
I have struggled in my life to carry on with my career in designing. This transition was very tough and hard to live without a family. I have faced many traveling problems on local buses. The biggest challenge for me was to live in a new city (Karachi) and to actually to get a job after graduation and overcome the fear of going out alone. The best personal development is to never quit if it’s hard because you achieve success when you go through tough times in your life. I think life is a challenge, also a goal for me to push myself to do what I want.
8. Who or what inspires you to keep moving in life?
My dream, my passion and my vision to be successful in life.
9. How can one place an order at NS – Naeema Soomro Clothing? How can people connect with you?
You can place an order at www.naeemasoomro.pk or connect with me through my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/NaeemaSoomro.Clothing/. Also, connect with me on Instagram at www.instagram.com/naeemasoomroclothing/
10. Your message for the youth of Pakistan
Never let your dreams fade away. Keep them alive. To achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Always remember that all things are possible for those who believe.
KARVAN envision to showcase the best and the brightest talent from Pakistan. If you have achieved an academic, personal or a professional milestone, or know someone who did, do send us a brief profile at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find us on Facebook @talktokarvan