1. Tell us about yourself?
Hi, I am Alfred D’mello, a musician (drummer) music-arranger. I started drumming since the age of 8 and began my professional drumming career at 17 with my first professional band Mizmaar.
2. What led you to become a drummer?
Since I belong to a Christian family there was always a lot of music going on in the community from church choirs to live bands playing at weddings and I would always watch the drummer and be fascinated with this art and skill. This is what led me to give it a go…and here I am.
3. Which music bands from Pakistan and abroad have been your inspiration?
When I started off Gumby (drummer of Noori) was a huge inspiration for me and all of the drummers of that time. Even today I find inspiration from all good musicians. From an international perspective, Police, Dave Matthews Band, Rush, Dream Theatre were my inspiration later came Simon Phillips, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dennis Chambers have been my inspiration.
4. What is it like to be the drummer for Atif Aslam?
It’s great to be a part of a line up that travels so much and plays huge venues. I get to play amazing drums day in and day out. What else can you ask for, eh..! It’s a blessing.
5. The life of a music band member seems to be too good. However, every profession has its challenges. What trials do you face as a drummer?
As much as a blessing, it is not as easy as it seems. Traveling for 16 hours and sometimes 24 hours and being ready for a gig the same day or the next day does not sound easy, does it? Also when you’re a session musician, regardless of what problems you have in your personal life, you have to switch your mind off and be a pro and give it your best on stage. But again, playing drums day in day out is a blessing, so no complains!
6. How hard is it to memorize drumbeats?
I read an amazing quote once “don’t practice to remember something, practice so hard that u can never forget it” so I go with that.
7. What are your activities when you are not on your tours or when you are not drumming?
I love spending time with my mom, my family, and friends. Apart from that, I have a very single track mind so it’s just research, practice, gym and I try to spend quality time with great company.
8. Who are the Pakistani singers and music bands you have performed with? How was the experience?
I have performed for Mizmaar, Fuzon, Amir Zaki, Najam Sheraz, Usman Riaz, Zoe Vicajji and have been recording drums in the studio for the past 15 years. And yes, I am currently playing for Atif Aslam. I just love how it sounds!
9. Your advice to aspiring musicians and especially for the future drummers?
Practice, practice, practice is the key; have the right attitude and be humble.
10. Your message for the youth of Pakistan?
Believe in humanity, spread peace, love, and happiness. We have been given this life for a purpose. Always help the less fortunate and make a positive impact in peoples’ lives.
KARVAN envision to showcase the best and the brightest talent from Pakistan. If you have achieved an academic, personal or a professional milestone, or know someone who did, do send us a brief profile at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find us on Facebook @talktokarvan